Who do you write for?

I have a couple of my best friends, my mom, my wife, and a few really good followers who read my blog. Sometimes I look at the statistics and ponder over the most popular posts: should I continue in that direction?

The wonder of the format is you get data. The temptation with the data is to apply it, somehow. I read a book on advice for writers in the library and it said, your most popular posts are like a beacon for what you should be writing. And they’re probably right.

It brings me joy when people respond to my posts; at times a nice comment has lifted me up to write another. But depending on positive feedback is risky, it shifts the power to the reader.

Don’t be afraid people won’t like what you write, won’t follow, or will “unfollow.” The fear will only get in the way of your own voice.

This entry was posted in writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Who do you write for?

1. sarahlangdon says:

Did you write this in response to the Daily Prompt? They ask today, “If sticking to certain topics and types of posts meant your readership would triple, would you do it?” I thought of that question when you said, “The temptation with the data is to apply it, somehow.” I have such a love/hate relationship with my stats, and I felt needled by both the DP and your post. It’s okay. I like being needled…. sometimes.

That’s weird! No, I didn’t – and it’s happened before, that I’ve written something unknowingly related to the DP prompt. It must be burrowing into my self-consciousness…

2. GOOD POST and SO VERY TRUE, I find going with my gut, always works best. IF I concerned myself with offending someone , the BLOG wouldn’t exist! 🙂 But trust me, I struggle with that fear. 🙂 Thanks for stoppnig by my blog.

3. As part of the blogging learning process, I find that the stats have sunk me on occasion. To make it a worthwhile and happy experience for me, I have to remind myself to write things that I enjoy or feel strongly about or am simply ruminating over. Fortunately, the latest wave of spamming follows have really set me free. When the numbers become irrelevant to the writing, then the writing is once again its own reward.

There for a while I wasn’t getting any of the data because all my mail from WordPress was going to my spam folder, and I wasn’t retrieving the data from Reader. Kind of liberating exercise in a weird way.

I write for me but know my audience. Does that makes sense?

Yes. That’s cool. Glad we hooked up via Michelle! There’s a story about Levon Helm hitting Robbie r I’m trying to recall, per your other comment. Something about letting Neil diamond play instead of muddy waters at a festival, because the record producers worked a deal with RR

Both those guys play in The Last Waltz. From Wikipedia:

Neil Diamond was next, introducing his “Dry Your Eyes” by saying, “I’m only gonna do one song, but I’m gonna do it good.” Robertson had also produced Diamond’s album Beautiful Noise the same year and co-wrote “Dry Your Eyes,” which during the concert he hailed as a “great song.” In his autobiography, Levon Helm was critical of the inclusion of Diamond, not discerning any musical connection to The Band. Reportedly, when Diamond came off stage he remarked to Dylan, “Follow that,” to which Dylan responded, “What do I have to do, go on stage and fall asleep?”[7]

I bet Levon and Robbie scrapped a lot.

6. verycoollife says:

Very Important question. Put me firmly in the “write what delights YOU and see who shows up” camp. That said, I do check my “likes” and sales, and certainly want more readers all the time. But I believe they come from my own alignment in expressing something I want to express, rather than trying to lure them. I’ve tried the latter many times and it always led to a dead end.

7. This always brings me back to the conversation you and I once had: “If you believe in what others say about you, would you still be who you are?”

Would you?

That’s like one of those Chinese finger trap toys where you put your fingers in either end, pull, and get stuck. I get stuck inside that for some reason. Damn you!

• Guilty. Guilty beyond charges. BTW I have the slightest idea what these Chinese finger trap toys you are referring to. Is the mentioning related to my ethnicity…? 😀 (Couldn’t resist)

It just so happens the trap does match your ethnicity, which I found convenient! I can’t comment on your damn blog! I took a dip last night in it, and the water was good.

8. I haven’t visited your blog in quite some time. I’m sorrier for me than I am for you because I always find something relevant whenever I read your stuff. Today is no exception.

As I read your most recent posts (and ended the visit here, in this comment box) I realize that I have fallen into the trap of worrying what people will think about what I’m writing. Hardly surprising considering that some of the content I write is for a particular company’s public exposure…obviously I need approval for that if I want to continue writing for them, right?

The point, though, is that I do my best work when I’m writing for myself, without worrying what others may like or not like…follow or unfollow. Regardless of who DOESN’T like what I write, there are plenty of other people who do, who may need to read what I’ve written at a single, particular time…just like I read here today.

I had forgotten that for a minute.

Thanks again.

Thanks for stopping back! I’m glad it struck a chord with you and compelled you to comment…love getting feedback like this. Thank you! – Bill