Brands, people, Starbucks

Brands aspire to elevate people to a positive emotional state. But the word brand itself is cold, distant, transactional. It’s the people with the logo on their shirt that make or break it. The bright people in the corporate office define it through research and slick presentations, but it doesn’t mean anything if the teenager in the apron (with the logo) doesn’t get it.

I’ve been with Starbucks for 18 years now, this fall. I started in the stores, moved to the office, left for a stint in France, then came back in 1998. They had just installed Microsoft Outlook when I returned: previous to that, scheduling meetings was really hard. You had to call everyone to ask when they were available.

I rode the gravy train through the early 2000’s, as Frappuccino got bigger and bigger. We called them line extensions: new flavors, inclusions, syrups, cute names like Rhumba.

Even after 9/11, the business was still growing. It seemed people needed some small comfort or indulgence, still. They liked the atmosphere, what we called “the third place,” where you go outside of home, or work.

Around 2007, Starbucks went astray for a variety of reasons, but got back on track somehow. The company got too full of itself, too far ahead of the competition, out of touch with its customers. The biggest fear was getting too big: becoming Corporate. It’s a fine line to walk.

Back in 2000, we got a new communications manager in our group. She came from The Body Shop in Canada, and wanted to imbue more culture into the communications we sent to our stores.

We went to our Creative Studio and briefed them on what we wanted. They came back with a couple names for our newsletter: one was The Scoop, and the other, The Filter. The designer had an eastern European accent, and favored The Filter because it was dark and edgy. We went with The Scoop.

It was a good idea, but it didn’t work. The stores couldn’t untangle what was really important in the content versus the nice stuff. We tried to personalize some of our executives through short interviews, alongside more actionable stories about ordering replacement signs for pastries, or remembering to process payroll on time.

The Scoop got replaced by action items on our Portal: blurbs in terse verse with bullet points, and no B.S. The stores were fast-paced and the managers, overburdened already. No one had time for human interest stories.

One of the executives I interviewed coined a phrase, Just Say Yes. His theory was that people grow up being told “no” as kids — and when they get their first job, saying no is a form of control or authority, over customers. He wanted employees to feel empowered to do the right thing: you didn’t have to check with a supervisor, you were empowered to take matters into your own hands, with a customer who was upset or unsatisfied.

We were a much smaller company then. We had books of free beverage coupons we gave to stores for customer recovery situations. In some cases, we kept them in safes — more often, they were readily accessible by the cash register, sometimes handed out in wads to whomever.

None of that matters, now. The intent is what endured, the spirit of lifting the average employee with the authority to do something positive. It’s smart. Brands don’t grow from people following company policy to a tee; they grow from people delivering on a promise to other people.

I’d keep going to work there if we stopped selling coffee and sold used tires, instead. I like the product, but it’s the people that make it.

People don’t care about brands, they care about people.

10 Responses to Brands, people, Starbucks

Good to see some positive affirmation about your work life, and insightful into what works in communication and what doesn’t. Hey, this would make a good piece in The Scoop. (But not The Filter; what a terrible name.)

Yes, positive affirmations are good. I realize it’s in contrast to some past posts. Whitman said something about being contradictory. That may be all I have in common with him.

• rossmurray1 says:

Hey, I get it. Last year I was quite down on my job and found myself withdrawing from colleagues and from student life at the school. Maybe it’s because my daughter is now a student but this year, so far, I’m far more engaged with both — indeed, the more time I spend around the students, the better. It’s making the job as a whole much more palitable. Like you say, trust in people.

Do you teach?

• rossmurray1 says:

Communications coordinator is the title. I have taught journalism courses at a couple of universities. I also taught AP English for four months during a teacher’s sick leave, which was just long enough to allow me to realize I was a lousy high school teacher. So I don’t teach now but I serve as an advisor to a group of students, attend morning assemblies and the formal lunch with the students, run the yearbook club and am generally around at events taking photos and video.

Right on. I bet you are good and the kids dig you (generally) … Off to 6 year old soccer match now. Clear night in Seattle in October: Epic!

2. Elyse says:

It is a good place where they always, no matter the location, try to make people feel welcome.

And I am delighted by their “no guns in our stores” policy. Bravo for standing up against the insanity. I had stopped going there for budgetary reasons ($4???) but now I do go sometimes. Because I really do like not being shot.

I’m really glad the company made that change too…shots are better in your coffee than your head.

• Elyse says:

Absolutely. Unless you want to go into a deep, deep sleep!

• Steven says:

Great goods from you, man. Download | 007MRLUKIAN Blog I’ve understand your stuff proevius to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a great Download | 007MRLUKIAN Blog informations.