Snow song from a train heading north

View from Himmelsleiter (Heaven's Ladder) over BesigheimSideways snow outside the window,
all of us bundled with our gadgets,
our books, our friends,
the din of soft German
going through tunnels, beneath bridges,
the ivy, the vines,
the limbs cut to the nub:
I sit on the train and wobble from side to side
thinking I could stay here forever along the golden fields,
the farms, the trees cloaked in fog
just shapes, all of us shapes,
coming in and out of view,
passing through.

This entry was posted in poetry, travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Snow song from a train heading north

Few things are as magical as traveling on train, looking out the window, doing nothing yet moving forward. I like this. I like a lot.

And snow! First snow I’ve seen in a long time, didn’t see it coming, from the Stuttgart station, rain changing to snow. Always goes the other direction back home, in Seattle. Thanks W.

• walt walker says:

Glad you are enjoying your snow. I’m enjoying my first snowless winter (if you can even call it one) in years.

Get that. It’s always greener on the other lawn, or something, the snow.

• Singledust says:

I would love to see that winter scene and feel the snow fall. A train journey is so magical.

Yes, thank you! We live in the Pacific Northwest in the States normally (though we’re living in Europe now for about nine months, returning to the US in a few weeks)…had hoped we’d see more snow here because we don’t get any of it to speak of back home, and this was about the only bout of it we had: a brief train ride from Stuttgart to my mom’s house, about a half an hour away. It was so pretty I had to write a bit about it, surprising and lovely when the rain changes to snow just like that, and you’re right: even better on a train! Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it. Bill

• Singledust says:

Thanks for replying to my comment. I live on the equator and have never seen or felt snow. I traveled a little but was never fortunate enough to visit a place in snow. This is my quest in the coming year or 2. Is the snowfall so different then in where you are in the US and in Europe? Is it the amount of snow or even the texture that’s different? Safe journey back to your home county.

Of course, thank you for sharing your story there, and the fact you haven’t seen snow yet. It’s really magical, and I wish that for you, for your first time to encounter it. I haven’t experienced much snow in Europe compared to the States, but the quality of snow definitely differs based on a number of meteorological factors I won’t pretend to understand. But basically, it can be wet or dry and fluffy — and I prefer the latter. I had a magical moment growing up, as a teenager, when I first heard the snow falling on a quiet, neighborhood street…had just fallen in love, and that with the snow kind of cemented the moment for me forever, hearing it lightly drifting from the sky and the trees. I wish you a wonderful time with that yourself, the first time you experience it. Best, Bill

• Singledust says:

I hope it will be as magical as yours. Thanks for the imagery of that first snowfall and young love. Be blessed, Gina

Thank you Gina! And blessings to you and yours too.

2. This was a lovely respite from all the heavy duty reading.

how much romance can you have in one experience? the snow, a train, and a foreign land –

4. Ah but what interesting shapes we are coming in and out of the shadows.