The must of memories trapped in jackets

IMG_0344The smell of the book is
the same as memories
musty, vague—
its only distinction
is in itself
how it sits there
unattended:
different memories,
different books,
all smell
the same.

This entry was posted in poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The must of memories trapped in jackets

1. Lynn Love says:

Like that idea of ‘musty’ memories. Some feel bright and shiny, others old, musty, worn at the edges. very true

Books just have that distinct smell (old ones). Not altogether pleasant but I like it. Because they’re books I guess!

Liked by 2 people

• Lynn Love says:

Yes, I don’t mind the musty book smell, but never took to that dictinctive smell that vinyl record shops had. Though my other half loves it still 🙂

They used the vinyl jackets as surfaces to perform other tasks.

• Lynn Love says:

Did they? Is that why record shops always smelled so damn weird?
        I used to hang out in one as a kid because it was tucked in the back room of the Wimpy bar my mum worked in. We’d hang out eating burgers and chips all day, looking at Supertramp and Meatloaf covers and listening to Peter Gabriel’s Games Without Frontiers. Well, that’s how I remember it anyway 🙂

2. I love the smell of an old memory. 🙂

sensory memories are by far the most powerful –

4. cazdawnie says:

Oooooh the smell of books… what solace is there in the world that compares to the crackle of the page, the temple of books be it a bookstore or a library…don’t get me started!:P