Inauguration day

really be
the start
of us
putting
an end
to things.

This entry was posted in poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Inauguration day

1. Lynn Love says:

Wow. Firstly, the clouds as balled-up fists – I warn you, I am definitely going to steal šŸ™‚ Love the sun swinging on its hinge and you’re right that the human mind has a great capacity to forget – we forget pain, heat, cold, forget what a summer’s day feels like when the cold, wet blanket of winter’s lying on us.
    And that last section beginning
    ‘January, you
    could be so much
    more than false
    promises and
    resolutions’
    So strong. Sadly, this president seems intent to keep his promises and resolutions. Has he never heard of the words ‘escalating’? Because that’s all his anti-immigration, anti-Muslim policies are going to achieve – an escalation of anti-American feeling. Though of course, when extremists fight back, they will just be ‘proving’ how right he was to enforce the legislation in the first place.
    I hope you’re wrong Bill. Not the end, only a nasty hiccup.

I know! It is sad he seems intent on keeping his promises, my god. Let’s hope for a hiccup, alright. I don’t know how I’m going to earn any money as an activist but I keep thinking each day I need to. Perhaps activism isn’t about earning money *ding, ding*. Thanks Lynn…

• Lynn Love says:

Yep, a determined man alright and one used to getting his own way it seems. At least people are appalled enough to protest against his rulings. Let’s hope it makes a difference.

2. byebyebeer says:

That sign is awesome, though probably not to Lily. This has been a very good January. I’m not falling into a pit, I refuse.

3. Stunner of a last line, and it hints that things are still going to be mighty cold out there when January’s over. Help!

Liked by 2 people

The timing and the title add such a depth of meaning. If you’d posted this when it was written, or with a different title, it would have been far less impactful.

Glad you thought so, the title was an afterthought but you’re right, it ties it together like a throw, dunnit? Is that the line (ha)?! Thanks duder. My smartphone now recognizes that word.

5. edbrummel says:

That last stanza could be read in (at least) two different ways. Either putting an end to thing we want ended, or as in, “it’s the end of the world as we know it.”

And the stanza before it, the penultimate one, is January actually “false promises and resolutions.” or is it being perceived so (even though it’s totally not)?

I’m glad you noted that Ed, I originally intended a specific rally-cry against the president then turned it so it could come from his POV, which had a dark tinge I liked. I don’t get a lot of poetic insight per se and really appreciate yours, thanks! Bill