The cure

img_4921In the future, they developed a cure for alcoholism. The cure was a serum injected in your body if you chose, but irreversible. And there was a small percentage of people where it didn’t take and the next time they drank, they died.

The man who developed the cure was smug and unlikeable indeed. The cure made him a lot of money though there were threats on his life from those who’d lost a lot, as a result.

One day, the man (who was very unhappy, and lived alone in a large estate in the countryside) returned home for his afternoon drink, and retired to his study. There, in the shadows behind his recliner, just outside the halo of the reading lamp, from the folds of the books there emerged a figure with no face who bent into the man’s ear without a word and breathed there.

The man who developed the cure forgot how to make it. Of course it was documented and well cared for in the lab but mysteriously, it disappeared—and once the serum was gone it no longer could be produced, and no one said much of anything, and it all went back to the way it used to be, and the shadowy figured returned to vapor, and everyone allowed a good time again, to extend that time for however long they were able or couldn’t quite control, to pass it down through their gene pool, this odd power to forget, a gift from the gods with a consequence for some, a curse.

This entry was posted in musings and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The cure

1. Lynn Love says:

A nice fairy tale quality to this one Bill. I’m intrigue by the Fairy of Forgetfulness and what a skill to have – people would pay big money for that one 🙂

I’ll admit to allowing myself some influence from you and Walt, my two favorite (and only real Flashers I follow), so thanks for that. It’s a strange world you two navigate. Though I think my real world is about as strange, without the need for much embellishment. Have you read Joy’s piece for that anthology yet? Holy crap!

• Lynn Love says:

Flash away! Though I warn you, it’s damn addictive once you’re into it. Those bitesize chunks, just so satisfying, so easy to rattle off compared to the complex thought and plot and character and development of a novel. The Class A drug of the fiction writing world.
        Not had a chance to read the rest of the anthology yet, but your reaction is motivation enough to get onto Wattpad and take a look 🙂

Yes, well put: Class A. My friend Brad is coming now, we’re going off in the mountains (where it’s starting to snow), don’t know where, and I’m still in my bath robe…so off to live/create some new stories, pronto.

• Lynn Love says:

Dress up warm now 🙂

• walt walker says:

It’s easy for you?! 🙂

• Lynn Love says:

Well, sometimes it is. They always need rewrites of course – sometimes a lot of rewrites – but snatching a tiny scene from a story without having to think too deeply about what came before, what will come after – plot in other words – feels a darn sight easier than writing a longer piece or a novel, getting to know the ins and outs of character and arcs and all that mullarky. And they are really addictive … 🙂

And no need for outlining.

• Lynn Love says:

Absolutely! Just throw it on the page, no context, no consequences, a quick in and out. 🙂

• walt walker says:

I thought I recognized my own might and influence in that one. I’m so powerful!!

It’s a dark persuasion. Good, mind you.

2. What a festival of ambiguity! It’s like the paradox I just saw in “Happyish” last night. The Loboto-Me home lobotomy device will eliminate all your pain. But you’ll never feel love again either. Oh boy.

Drink up, everyone!

In the store today, for the first time, I saw 0% Budweiser. Now there’s a cure worse than the curse.

4. byebyebeer says:

Nice one, Bill. I like the feel of this one and the shadowy faceless figure. Cool photo too.

Was just a “something” I had waking up, but I did like the photo pairing. Rough way to start a film there, that Harry Potter 5 I think it was, or 6. Rough way for the Hogwarts professor being eaten by Nagini, that is.

5. There’s some nice imagery there, amigo. More of that, please. Also makes me want to visit Harry Potter studios in London. How creepy is that?

Thanks Mark. The studio is well worth it if you have the time and your family is into it. I loved that very creepy photo. Nice catch on the source.