Birth rights

Brad's cabin, '13

Brad’s cabin, ’13

Perhaps it was on that day I was very small,
I decided what I wanted to be.
There was a small satisfaction in that,
a place to sit and fit.
And we all need that.

I remember they were happy with me,
for who I wanted to be,
everyone was happy there was a place
for me, though it was hard
and we didn’t see that at first.

Now I walk to the lake and it’s become
something more, the lake:
and on the way, the moss grown
plump in the cracks, the sidewalk
soggy: the aspect of the trees and
sky this time of year. It makes me
glad for who I am, though hard
to reconcile, with what I do.

This entry was posted in poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Birth rights

1. “Then they expect you to pick a career …”

Once you find the lake, it’s easier to resolve the two personas.

Liked by 6 people

2. I’ve never had that ‘ah-ha’ moment when I knew what I wanted to be. What’s it like? Pretty satisfying, I’ll bet.

Liked by 5 people

and there is nothing to say you can’t change your path as you go

Liked by 4 people

I wanted to be a Mountie. Or a clown. Nurture vs nature.

Liked by 5 people

The last bit sent my brain off into a weird, dark place wondering what it is that he does. I imagined it being something sinister. I know that’s not where you were going, I I just couldn’t help it. 🙂

Liked by 3 people

6. davidspeter says:

What a gorgeous post luv it friend, can’t say much mor like a step by step guilding post.

Liked by 5 people

7. Wow, awesome post, with a very meaningful message.
    Also, if you can, and you want to, I would really appreciate if you would reblog one of my blog posts, it sounds weird, I know, but I am new here, and I don’t really know how to attract viewers.
    Thank you so much, William. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

8. My Theory says:

This post is nice but read My Theory once and give me some feedbacks.

Liked by 4 people

9. “I remember they were happy with me,
    for who I wanted to be”

The best present one can give to another.

Liked by 5 people

10. I REALLY LIKED THE WAY YOU JUST WROTE IT…ITS BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN PIECE..:)
    REGARDS
    SIA

Liked by 5 people

11. Kat says:

It was a journey for 50 years to actually live what I knew to be my passion: to help people.
    My mother always discouraged my outreaches to people. “You need to live your own life,” she’d say.

Today, I have come into my own, now mentoring people who wish to find that grounded place, too.
    Your poem brought it home with a deep sense of satisfaction.

Thank you for sharing your gift.

Sweet peace,
    ~Kat

Liked by 5 people

Hey sweet peace to you Kat and your kind words, your story of helping others. What the world be like without people like you? Thanks for visiting. Bill

Liked by 2 people

12. mluciamontoya says:

Still looking for that place in the world, hopefully I’ll be strong enough one day to build a cabi beside that lake and thrive.

Liked by 5 people

I wish you well on that, for me it’s a very brief but important place that’s physical and internal, to feel settled. Thanks for reading and sharing your point of view. — Bill

Liked by 2 people

13. I connected with this poem. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 5 people

14. byebyebeer says:

Just saw this in the Discover feed – congrats! It’s a beaut.

Liked by 5 people

15. BloggableFeed says:

The poem is meaningful. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 6 people

16. Thanks for sharing this Nice Post…

Liked by 3 people

17. porate mi a skuste mi napisať či biste vedeli niečo urobit PRE MNA ! švagrom ukradol mi pred 3 rokmi 2200eur ako ist na nan ho aby ich vratil či biste mi pomohli odpište gde sa mam iformovat a čo bi to stalo taka niejaka služba od vas čakam odpovet tu som tu celi den a trapi ma to aj preto že rozbija on rodinu a ja platim ešte ludi pomimo čakam odpovet TU ! či na gmail

Liked by 3 people

18. manjiriv28 says:

The poem is beautifully written I loved it…..I also write poems check them out

Liked by 3 people

19. This poem has great flow and it lets us know who you are great piece of work 🔨visit us at: http://poetryinspired.com 💣💥

Liked by 4 people

20. This is beautiful… I hope I can get to this moment and feel as happy as you

Liked by 2 people

21. Chandrashekar says:

Nice oneif you have time do read my blog and if you like it do follow https://chandrashercnaidu.wordpress.com/2016/12/07/there-is-always-tomorrow/

Liked by 2 people

22. recoveringslowlyblog says:

This is beautiful. I love it.

Liked by 3 people

23. studentzy says:

This is beautiful, I wonder how are you making poem, the combination of words.. etc.

Liked by 3 people

24. I just saw this thing got Discovered. Hell, yes.

Liked by 2 people

25. Mayzeshop says:

Yesss… Happy Family…

Family is precious treasure

Liked by 2 people

26. Malatya Escort says:

Nice Post

27. Such a lovely piece. The impact stil echoed in my mind after I read it.

28. You are really a destiny chosen being. You decided your future and nature adopted it for. Greats

29. hellorsa says:

That moment when u have to keep going.

30. Those who are born to lead, are equally authored by nature to make history. You have made that history even without knowing when you were making the history. I hope others will learn from you.

31. Very evocative and I love the language – so descriptive and fascinating and really paints a picture. Thanks for sharing with the world!

32. I want a moment like that!